Want to know how to scan a QR code on laptop and PC screens? All you need is an up-to-date smartphone or a QR code scanner app.
But if you are referring to how to scan a QR code using the laptop itself, you can still certainly do so.
Read this blog to know how.
- What is a QR code: a short recap
- How to scan a QR code on laptop screens using a QR TIGER QR code generator
- How to scan QR code on your screen using Android
- How to scan a QR code on laptop screens using iOS
- Best QR code generator and scanner apps
- Social media apps with QR code scanner feature to scan a QR code on a laptop
- Use a two-in-one QR code generator and scanner for a convenient experience
What is a QR code: a short recap
Before heading straight into the steps in scanning QR codes, it’s essential to know the basics about how QR codes work first.
Developed in 1994, Denso Wave engineer and developer Masahiro Hara introduced QR codes as an upgraded version of the barcodes used mainly by stores in Japan.
This two-dimensional barcode offers a larger storage capacity, allowing users to embed Kanji and Kana characters along with alphanumeric ones.
However, due to increased smartphone usage, better internet access, and the emergence of barcode software like a professional QR code generator, QR codes have become a mainstream tool used in various industries worldwide.
Today, many use QR codes to dispense digital information: marketers, retailers, manufacturers, educators, healthcare providers, restaurateurs, business owners, and government sectors.
How to scan a QR code on laptop screens using a QR TIGER QR code generator
If you see the QR code on screens and your smartphones can’t detect QR codes, you can still scan the QR code using a laptop device; here’s how:
- Go to QR TIGER
- Click upload a QR code image to extract the URL
- Upload a QR code image, and a URL will appear
- Copy the link and open it to a new browser
How to scan QR code on your screen using Android
Android 7 and below
Smartphones on Android 7 and below do not have built-in QR code scanner features, so you’ll need to download and install a third-party QR code scanner app.
When looking for a scanner app, ensure it’s compatible with your Android version. Otherwise, chances are it won’t work.
Android 8 and above
You can readily scan a QR code using phones running on Android Oreo, Pie, and other latest versions because of their QR code scanner feature within the camera app.
There’s no need to take the extra mile on downloading third-party QR code reader apps on your phone’s app stores.
To scan a QR code on PC, laptop, or any digital display screen, follow these steps:
- Launch the camera app.
- Hover your camera over the QR code.
- Once it recognizes the QR code, you will find a page with a link on your screen.
- Tap the link to go to the landing page or website embedded.
You can also activate the Google Lens feature if it’s not internally activated. With Google’s latest image-recognition technology, you can search for images and scan QR codes.
Here’s how you can use it:
- Open your Google Lens app. You can also launch your Google Assistant or open your camera app to activate Google Lens.
- Hover your camera on the QR code to scan.
- A link will appear on the screen. Click the pop-up link to access the website.
How to scan a QR code on laptop screens using iOS
Apple’s iOS 11 devices and up have QR code scanner features built within the devices. The older versions, however, do not.
iOS 11 and above
Here’s how to scan a QR code on your screen using iPhones running iOS 11 and up:
- Open your camera app, making sure that the rearview camera is on.
- Point your camera toward the QR code. Wait until a pop-up banner appears on the screen.
- Click the pop-up banner. It will redirect you to Safari, where you can access the QR code content.
Other iOS versions
Here’s what you should do to scan a QR code on iPhones or iPads running on iOS versions lower than 11:
- Download a QR code scanner app on your App Store.
- Activate the app, making sure that you turn on permissions.
- Open the third-party QR code scanner app.
- Point your camera and scan the QR code image.
- Click the pop-up link that will appear on the screen. The link will immediately redirect you to Safari, where you can access the content.
Best QR code generator and scanner apps
To help you out, here’s a list of the best QR code scanner apps that you can easily find on the Google Play Store or the iOS App Store:
Aside from being a professional all-in-one QR code software online, QR TIGER also provides an easy-to-use QR code scanner app for Android and iOS users.
The user-friendly app offers unlimited QR code scanning capacity, fast QR code recognition, and an ad-free interface.
So, you can seamlessly scan QR codes minus the hassle of ads popping up on your phone screens.
Moreover, you can also generate QR codes using the app for free. And you don’t need to sign up for an account, either.
You can create 14 different QR code solutions using the free app, namely:
- URL QR code
- WiFi QR code
- Text QR code
- Email QR code
- SMS QR code
- MP3 QR code
- Social media QR codes for Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Twitter, WhatsApp, and Line
Kaspersky’s QR code scanner
Another free QR code scanner that you can find on the App Store and Google Play Store is Kaspersky’s QR code scanner.
Its security features help you from accessing unsafe QR code-embedded links.
With just one scan, Kaspersky’s QR code scanner immediately notifies you whether the encrypted link is safe for you to access.
The app also saves your scanning history, allowing you to re-access previously scanned QR code content anytime
Zapper QR code scanner
Zapper is a digital payment software that can scan a QR code on a laptop, phone, or PC screen to pay cashless.
If you’re looking for a QR code scanner to use when paying for your online shopping purchases, restaurant meals, or donations, this should be one of your choices.
With Zapper software, you can safely make speedy transactions, quickly find restaurants and stores that accept cashless or Zapper payments, and easily avail or access vouchers from your favorite stores.
The Bar-Code reader app is one of the earliest scanners on the Play Store and the App Store. This multi-barcode scanner lets you scan various barcodes displayed on any media.
Using this app, you can access and share the QR code-embedded content on various platforms such as Facebook, SMS, or email.
Though it comes with ads, the app is generally easy-to-use for mobile users.
And if you wish to remove the ads, you can create an account and pay $0.99 to enjoy seamless QR code and barcode scanning.
Social media apps with QR code scanner feature to scan a QR code on a laptop
Even your favorite social media apps can scan QR codes. Get to know these in this list:
The latest TikTok app update includes personalized QR codes for each user and a QR code scanner.
To access the in-app QR code scanner, here’s what to do:
- Click the TikTok Profile icon at the lower right corner of your phone screen.
- Tap the Find Friends icon located in the upper left corner.
- The QR code scanner icon is in your screen’s upper left corner.
You can scan third-party QR codes, the ones not generated by TikTok, and access external links using this feature.
The instant messaging platform’s camera can now function as a QR code scanner. With this feature, you can access Snapchat content and other external websites.
Its quick image recognition capacity makes it much easier to read QR codes and reveal the embedded link.
This isn’t Snapchat’s first time with QR codes, though. In 2015, they released Snapcodes, a feature where users can create QR codes for their profiles.
Professional social media platform LinkedIn now comes with unique user QR codes and a QR code scanner, though it can only scan in-app QR codes.
You can locate the QR code scanner by following these steps:
- Launch the LinkedIn mobile app and click the search bar
- The QR code scanner will appear at the upper right corner of the screen. Click it.
- Two tabs will appear on your screen: My code and Scan. Tap the Scan tab to scan LinkedIn QR codes.
Aside from customizable QR codes for profiles, posts, and reels, Instagram’s app update also introduced a QR code scanner.
And like LinkedIn, the in-app QR code scanner is exclusive only for scanning Instagram’s QR codes. You can’t use this to scan third-party QR code campaigns and access external links.
However, you can use your mobile IG app if you want to scan a friend’s Instagram QR code displayed on a laptop or PC screen.
Here’s how to access the scanner:
- Open your Instagram app on your smartphone.
- Click your profile photo located at the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap the menu at the upper right corner of your phone.
- Select the QR code.
- Click the Scan QR code button at the bottom part of the interface.
This online messaging platform’s QR code scanner is also exclusive only to WhatsApp QR codes.
To use the scanner, here’s what you should do:
- Open WhatsApp on your phone.
- Click the three-dotted icon at the upper right corner of the screen to access the menu. Choose Settings.
- Beside your profile photo is a QR code icon. Tap the icon to access your profile code and the QR code scanner.
- Click the Scan code tab and point your camera at the WhatsApp QR code.
Use a two-in-one QR code generator and scanner for a convenient experience
Learning how to scan a QR code on laptop and PC screens is now important, seeing that numerous industries worldwide are using QR codes to dispense information.
With up-to-date smartphones and QR code scanner apps, you can easily access a QR code’s embedded data or landing page anytime, anywhere.
QR TIGER, for instance, is a leading QR code generator and scanner that you can use to scan QR code images on laptop or wherever they may be displayed.
Download the app today and start scanning QR codes on your mobile for free.